Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Photos and Finding My Pace

        I’ve finally taken photos of some of my work and here they are. These are not for sale yet but I'll let you know when and where they will be.
        These roll-brim hats scrunch into stackable donuts  and I love to pile them up:
They are all made of organic cotton except for the two multi-coloured ones. Those are made of recycled sari silk spun by women in India. 
        
  They are designed to be adjustable so you can wear them either short or long like this:


These slippers were my first original design: 
I’ve always been a sucker for mary janes. They are organic cotton so they breath well and keep feet from sweating. The cotton is doubled and the stitch is twisted for reinforced durability. The recycled ribbon makes for an adjustable fit. I also make them in pink and powder blue.

        This rag rug is made of recycled linens, table cloths and curtains:
I’ve used synthetic fabrics for durablity and ease of care. I tore the fabric into strips and then knit it back together with size 35 needles. The needles are thicker than broom sticks and so fun to use! I’m working on a meditation cushion in the same style. 

  Not so sure about the torn edges on that rug. Aesthetically I really like them but practically I wonder if the fraying will eventually make a tangled mess of loose threads. Any thoughts, dear readers? I could serge the edges but that would change the look, be time consuming and increase the cost to buyers. I’m going to use this rug for a while - or maybe ask a friend to use it - and see how it stands up.
  In other news, I’ve decided not to apply for the upcoming craft fair. I’m not quite able to work full-time yet and I’d hate to make my entrance into retail sales when I’m not fully prepared. I have to remind myself every now and then that this business is part of a lifestyle change which includes a slower pace. Since I have the luxury of time and space without too many bills just now there’s no need to listen to my little inner tyrant whispering “Faster! More!” and “Not enough!”. I was going to work out a timeline for the business but for now setting goals week to week feels better. This week was photos. Check. 


  Next week I’m going to post some pictures and instructions on how to make a circular skirt from a table cloth. So stay tuned ...

2 comments:

jknoester said...

Awesome blog Gia!!

Alexis said...

That rug is GORGEOUS! Seriously, when I think of rag rugs they are not nearly as beautiful as that.